Tell Pennsylvania to Stop Obstructing Progress on Climate
In a surprise turn of events, former climate champion Senator Bob Casey (D-PA), joined 7 coal-loving Senators to issue a filibuster threat against the soon to come climate and energy bill.
Casey should know better. His state is home to some of the most successful green jobs ventures, producing many of the windmills that will be erected in the continental United States. His about-face in supporting an economy where polluters pay and people breathe healthy air cannot be ignored.
Now is the time to show that our generation will not stand for senators that impede urgently needed action on climate change, whether they are Democrats, or Republicans. If you are a Pennsylvanian, let him know he was deeply mistaken in signing on to that letter and that his constituents will not let him get away with compromising the economic future of Pennsylvania by protecting fossil fuel interests.
There are three ways that you can take action, listed below in order of relevance.
1. Handwrite a complaint letter (sample below) and address it to:
Senator Robert Casey Jr.
383 Russell Senate Office Building
Phone: (202) 224-6324
Toll Free: (866) 802-2833
Fax: (202) 228-0604
- We cannot wait another year for a climate bill, the time is now.
- Scientific predictions are getting increasingly worse. The impacts of the climate crisis are occurring faster than predicted by models.
- The U.S. cannot show up to the Post-Kyoto negotiations empty handed.
- 11,000 young people came to Washington D.C. for PowerShift to demand urgent action.
- Casey was elected to replace Sen. Santorum, one of the most dishonest climate deniers. Stalling climate legislation is not change.
- Pennsylvania is a leader in green jobs and needs the investments from the cap to emerge from the recession.
2. Call one of his offices, preferably the one closest to where you live:
D.C. Phone: (202) 224-6324
Harrisburg Phone: (717) 231-7540
Philadelphia Phone: (215) 405-9660
Pittsburg Phone: (412) 803-7370
NorthEastern PA Phone: (570) 941-0930
Erie Phone: (814) 874-5080
Central PA Phone: (814) 357-0314
Lehigh Phone: (610) 782-9470
My name is ____ and I am a constituent from ____.
I am calling to express my disappointment with Senator Casey’s opposition to using the budget reconciliation process to pass the urgently needed climate bill.
[STORY ABOUT WHY YOU CARE ABOUT THE CLIMATE CRISIS]
I joined 11,000 young people at PowerShift, a national conference to unite leaders fighting the climate crisis. There were 627 of us from Pennsylvania and we were there because we understand the urgency of solving the climate crisis. We don’t have another year to waste on debating the science-denying conservatives of both parties.
I hope that in the future Senator Casey will support the President’s timeline to strengthen America by jumpstarting the green economy and delivering the change we voted for. Please do not make it more difficult for climate change legislation to pass by aligning with conservatives on this issue.
3. Send out him an e-mail (better if you personalize it):